nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

Nightspell

Nightspell - Leah Cypess I was dying to read this book. I loved Mistwood so much that I was pretty darned sure I was going to love the socks off this one as well. Unfortunately, it didn't enthrall me as much as Mistwood did. I think I would be a lot more forgiving of it if I knew that it was the first of the series. At least, that's what it read like. And the ending didn't tie anything up at all so I am reasonably certain that there's another book lurking somewhere in the future.That said, let's talk about the book. It's very compelling. A land where people who are murdered come back as ghosts with many different abilities. A land where ghosts demand as much voice in the way the land is run as the people who are still alive. A land where it's difficult to figure out if your dinner companion is still breathing. Sounds fascinating, right? I thought so too. And then add to it an arranged marriage, princess and other ingredients that would count towards an awesome court intrigue with politics and paranormal events being the spiciest ingredients. Except that the prince I was the most interested in barely made an appearance. And the prince I wasn't interested in was present way too much. I felt as though there were too many main characters and because of that I wasn't able to connect to a single one.I have no complaints with the writing but I just felt that the whole thing failed to be cohesive. I couldn't get a hold on whose story I wanted to follow and the whole "spell" thing was vague enough that I didn't actually get it the first time I read it.This is not to say I disliked the book. I did. Just not as much as I had hoped to. If there's a second novel, I will read it to appease my curiousity about the characters. Because they did have promise.