nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

If I Tell

If I Tell - Janet Gurtler I know that many people had problems with the way Jasmine was characterized but it really worked for me. The major premise aside, I felt that Jasmine's prickly, too sensitive personality, portrayed very realistically what (and perhaps how) a girl her age would react in the situations she finds herself in. Wow, that was convoluted. What I mean to say is that I didn't find Jasmine offensive, I didn't think she was whiny. She has a reason to feel the way she does and even when she does lash out perhaps unfairly, she has to face up to it eventually. That aside, the book tackles how a biracial teen comes of age in a town where she is most definitely the only "one of her kind." Honestly, I can't relate to that. But I do know how it feels to not belong. Feel out of place even though it all may just be in your head.Jasmine is not a forgiving person. She tends to make snap judgements and react on them but dude, her "best friend" was pashing her mother's boyfriend. Her pregnant mother's boyfriend. I wouldn't be so forgiving either, man. And no, I don't think her decision in the end was bad. Also, the relationship with the love interest felt real. There was no insta-love but there were several stumbles. I don't know, guys. I don't want this to be a justification or a defense against all the other mediocre reviews. I just enjoyed the book, I liked how Gurtler wrote her story about a teen who has more on her plate than usual. Who makes mistakes and pays for them. Who learns that people are not black and white and that sometimes shit happens and you have to deal with it. I liked the way the relationships cohered, slowly but definitely. I also particularly liked that the ending did not neatly tie everything together. I appreciated that a lot. Would I recommend it to you? Yes, I would. In fact, I do.