nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

Mind Games (Disillusionists Series #1)

Mind Games - Carolyn Crane The first installment in the Disillusionist’s trilogy infuses a much needed uniqueness in a genre stuffed full of werewolves, fairies and vampires. I liked how new this mythology was and not just that, it was brilliantly logical as well. Something that may very well be possible in the real world were we able to find people who could do what Packard does. And Justine is a very likable heroine. Her voice has the right amount of irreverence mixed with human-ness that makes her easy to relate to. And her fears for her health, hypochondriac though she may be, resonates with me because let’s face it, who hasn’t wondered whether that ache in her head is a hint of a tumor? Well, I have anyway and I’m not a hypochondriac. I don’t think so anyway.The “gang” as Justine called her fellow Disillusionists are also a very engaging lot with their different personalities and politics. The pace is fairly fast and the writing pulls you into Justine’s world very quickly. I was enjoying the novel quite a lot until I came across Otto Sanchez. Let me tell you, I had already unraveled the main twist in the novel from the very beginning of the novel when all parts had fallen into place. Maybe it’s because I write and am able to tell where the author is pushing her reader’s attention to or from but it was very obvious to me and I was not surprised to find my suspicions were correct. What threw me off was, once again, as seem inevitable nowadays, was the romance. Call me traditional, call me old fashioned but seriously, if you have almost had sex (twice) with one man and not just meaningless sex but sex that comes back with emotions why in all hell that’s blue are you having sex with his nemesis the second time you meet him, this too backed by feelings (yeah, I’m not very convinced, this is the second time you’ve met him and I don’t care how many times you’ve breached his mind and essence, you need more time before you go betraying one). I just didn’t like Justine all that much after that. I like romance as much as the next girl. I like sexytimes but not when you end up being weak and in love and go betraying everyone you owe your loyalty to. So, while I started the book enjoying it, I ended it not liking it much at all. It became less about disillusioning and more about the romance.It would have been nice if the focus had remained on the gray area of the disillusionists’ work where rehabilitating criminals is concerned. When the main conflict is solved so easily, it becomes anticlimactic and affects my enjoyment of the novel. And dude, the romance. Ugh. Another love triangle. I don’t know. I liked this first installment well enough but I’m going to pass up on the next two because I cannot handle more waffling between two men.