nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

Undercurrent: A Siren Novel (Siren Novels)

Undercurrent - Tricia Rayburn I’ll say this out and I hope you hear it loud and clear: From all the recent slew of mermaid/siren/kelpie books out there, I believe Rayburn’s Siren trilogy just may be the best. Whether it is the strength of the writing, plotting or characterization or whatever else, Siren proves itself superior in more ways than one. It had been a long while since I read the first one in the series but I jumped in anyway because I figured that it would either reel me on or let me go. The second in the trilogy reeled me in and how.Vanessa is an interesting character. She is not always likable but her actions are always understandable even when you don’t want them to be. When we leave her in book one, she has undergone the ritual and become a Siren – even though it is the last thing she wants to be. In Undercurrent, Vanessa struggles with her siren-hood, feeling like she has turned into a monster and battling her conscience, the one that tells her to let Simon go and the desire that selfishly wants to keep him close as he is the only thing that keeps her human. Her internal conflict is easy to empathize with because I know how difficult it is to do the right thing when doing the wrong thing feels so good. Then there is the appearance of a new guy who makes Vanessa feel things she shouldn’t and didn’t think she could feel for someone other than Simon. However, the appearance of an “aunt” who is also a siren explains this new behavior of Vanessa’s but not before it drives a wedge between Vanessa and Simon – perhaps a permanent one.The siren mythology remains gripping and tense – there’s a palpable sense of danger about the sirens who have somehow defied all odds to remain alive and nasty. There is female friendship and themes of beauty and family. The novel is solid and delivers on almost all counts. It’s not perfect – it does get a bit too mushy at moments – but it’s entertaining in all the ways that count. Recommended.