nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

Princess Ben

Princess Ben - Catherine Gilbert Murdock This was a fun read. A really fun read. Written in the manner of fairy tales, this involved anything but fairies. It did have a magic room, a magic book, a princess with an almost dangerous predilection for pastries, an ornery Queen Aunt and (almost as an after thought) a prince. What I liked most about this book was the fact that it focused more on Ben’s growth as a person. It depicted her maturation in the manner in which she associated with the people around her and the relationships she had with the Queen, the servants and the adviser. This gave the book a depth that is contradictory to the light hearted feel evoked by the synopsis. When Ben finally “grows up” and realizes her destiny and accepts the responsibilities that come with the position, you can’t help but cheer for her. Oh and I totally loved the reversal of the fairy tale done in the end. It was splendidly done. Read it if you want to end the book with a smile. I know I was beaming.