nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

Starcrossed

StarCrossed - Elizabeth C. Bunce Please sign the petition so the third book is picked up by the publisher (and spread the word!):http://need-tea.livejournal.com/146709.htmlI have a thing for strong female characters who defy all the odds to fight for survival and success. In Starcrossed, we meet Digger, a thief, who has to flee her city due to less than propitious circumstances. She finds herself smack dab in the middle of an odd gathering of people – two guys and two girls who are more than what they seem. What follows is an incredible journey not just across the land but also through time. The reader gets to follow Digger as she journeys from being a thief fighting for survival to a girl who knows her strength and what she wants to do with the abilities she has.I liked the novel, if that isn’t apparent by now. The characters are all strongly hewn and developed. Each character, no matter how slight his or her role in the book is, is given proper attention and is developed enough that the reader can see him/her clearly. The plot is paced quite effectively and there are no leaps of logic that confound or irritate. The language is sometimes a bit discordant but it’s not a major issue and as the story continues and becomes more compelling, the discordance fades from notice.I loved Digger’s character. She’s contrary, prickle and unpredictable and her interactions with the other characters are always lively. The figure in the basement is also intriguing and I don’t really know what the relationship between him and Digger are. Is it just a platonic one as the age difference and some of his words seem to suggest? Or is it something more as their actions and reactions to each other would have us believe? I would prefer the latter though it seems like a forlorn hope if what I have read about the sequel is true.Anyway, I really don’t have much to say about this except that I liked it. And if you liked Eon/Eona, you will surely like this one too. It has good writing, good characters and a wonderful story. I can’t wait to read the second book in the trilogy.