nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

Eternally Yours

Eternally Yours - Cate Tiernan The final installment of the Immortal Beloved trilogy has made me a lifetime fan of Cate Tiernan. While the novel wasn’t perfect, it did answer a lot of outstanding questions and end things in a plausible way that is not at all the end of Nastasya’s story but the end of our journey with her. Nastasya has grown a lot from the girl we meet in the beginning of the book. True, she is less flippant (and less funny) but there is substance in her. Substance that scares the crap out of her.There are many things I liked about Eternally Yours. First of all is the relationship between Reyn and Nastasya. Even though the two of them are involved in some sort of a relationship, Nastasya does not magically transfer all of her thoughts, emotions and affections onto the man. Their past is still a factor in their relationship and there are times when I wondered whether the ending would be a happy one, romantically speaking. They work through it – like normal people do – not that they are normal at all. But the juxtaposition of the normal and the paranormal fits well and gives the book an oomph and a seriousness that I don’t think it would have had otherwise. Their constant bickering is mediated by their obvious interest in each other but their affections do not blind them to the others’ flaws. I liked that. Also, there is no love triangle which is super awesome.Moving right along, I thought the story itself was not developed as strongly as I would have liked it to be. It is strong but I felt more could have been said and done and the denouement of the novel felt unnecessarily bloody and far more tragic than I wanted it to be. It lacked some necessary tension is what I mean. However, Tiernan did get the tense atmosphere right and she stayed true to Nastasya’s voice which is what matters above all. I liked River and Brynne and for some reason I feel that there’s a lot more to be told than we were told. I also liked how Nastasya does something on her, something good. It felt authentic.Really, if you haven’t started this series yet, I really don’t know what you are waiting for. Is there something else I could say to change your mind? Because if there is I totally will. You need to read and see the awesomeness of the trilogy for yourself. It’s funny, sexy and thrilling. There are villains, good guys and horses. Also an ugly dog… how can you resist an ugly dog? I recommend this. Strongly.