nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender The synopsis sounds intriguing, doesn’t it? Well, it did to me. I was very intrigued. The first few pages read sort of like a lament, with the sorrow propping up each sentence. Rose’s experience and bewilderment with her “gift” when she’s a child sets the tone for the entire book. Her relationship with her family, especially her brother, is curious. You empathize with Rose as she tries to get closer to her brother and is rebuffed by him time and again. Her relationship with her parents is, for the lack of a better word, sad. I like the way Bender writes the story but, as much as I wanted to, I could not immerse myself into it as wholly as I wanted to. I also have to point out that though I am accepting of many bizarre things and plot segues, there are certain things that will leave me to just go “eh??” and this usually happens to the detriment of the book as a whole. Also, Rose is a very sad character and things that happen in her life are usually sad. I would have appreciated some lightness inserted into the narrative simply to change things and make them more dynamic.I liked the book. I just think it could have been a bit better.