nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

Firelight (Firelight Series)

Firelight (Firelight Series) - I wasn't going to review this since there are more than enough reviews floating around but then again, a month or so after finishing this book, I thought back on it and realized that I do have something to say about it. The difference between this novel and similar ones in the genre is that when we are introduced to Jacinda, she is already a part of the lore, versed in the mythos so we can thankfully escape the entire "Oh it can't beeee" "oh but it issss" "I can't believe you!!" "But you have to!!!!" deal that really makes me want to stop reading. Also, in Firelight, it is Jacinda who is the mythical creature as opposed to the cute undead guy who apparently has nothing better to do with his undead eternity than sniff at high school girls in a biology class. I'm going to skip over all the other things that people usually talk about in reviews because well, you can read the other reviews if you want information about the plot etc, characters etc. What interests me about this novel is the patriarchal construct that Sophie Jordan creates as the initial setting for the story. This patriarchal society is reinforced by the hero (whose name I forget) and his family. The hero and his three cousins and their fathers - women don't seem to be a part of that equation unless I didn't read closely enough and there are some present. Anyway, I thought that was well done. You can sense the menace rolling off the guys even though it's a book and you can't see them. I hope the preceding books in the series discusses the life in the dragon village in more detail. That said, let's move on. Let's talk about some things that disturbed me about the story. Jacinda's mom and her sister's desire to "kill" a part of Jacinda. I realize that the mother is not asking Jacinda to do something that she hasn't done herself but don't you think that it's way insensitive to do so? I mean, she CHOSE to do so - so why is she taking away that Choice from Jacinda. I mean, you are talking about killing a very important part of yourself - that would hurt Jacinda. It's not unconditional love, here, mates, and Jacinda's mom shows that her love is conditional and I'm pretty much upset by the implications of that. And the sister is definitely too stupid to live. Seriously. There, my review is done. Definitely not a conventional one but it livens things up eh?