nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

A Need So Beautiful

A Need So Beautiful - Suzanne Young I did not expect to like this book as much as I did. I really didn’t. There was one big reason for that and it came with wings. Yeah, this is an angel book and I am afraid that the stigma attached to YA angel books coupled with the cover, which while beautiful does not really say anything pertinent, has led potential readers to decry whatever potential joy this book may bring them. But honestly, Charlotte’s story is not just original, it seems refreshing. Yes, I am talking about an angel book refreshing. I might have had too much coffee but seriously, this is a beautiful book that you need to try out. And you know I’m serious because usually I save the recommendation for the end of the review.I think what struck me about this book was the delicacy with which the author approaches themes of life and death. Of good and evil. Is it still Good we are doing if we are doing it against our will? And if this Good that we can’t help but do, if it causes us pain, does it still retain its Goodness? Questions like these are prominent to the more discerning reader. Charlotte is an engaging character and her conflicts are so real, so relateable that you can’t help but empathize with her pain. What she is going through, though it is placed in a supernatural context, is real, is very possible. Being forgotten, as though you never were, what must the relatives of people with Alzheimers go through? What sort of betrayal is it? To be forgotten even though it’s unintentional.I also liked the different kinds of relationships in this book. From the very complicated (and yet very compelling) romance to the plain friendship between two girls. To the dynamics of a family that is created because of feelings rather than blood and genetics. To the relationship forged by duty and responsibility. Every relationship is, for lack of a better word, ponderous and complex. The romance is one of the most wonderful parts of this book because of it’s fierceness and because of its sincerity. There is no third person in this relationship and there doesn’t need to be one to make it as layered as a relationship is.But at the heart of it all, I think it is Charlotte’s journey inside herself, her struggle and then her eventual courage at the denouement of the novel that finally wins my favour. It is not an easy decision, the one she makes. In fact, I don’t think anyone could easily decide something like that. I won’t give it away except to say that the book delivers strongly and cleanly. And the best part is, there is a sequel that I am absolutely dying to read. It really is a beautiful book and I think you should all give it a try. Seriously.