nafizaazad

Bibliophilic Monologues

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush Saga)

Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick I had heard a lot about this novel before I began it and I have to be honest, I had built up a healthy case of preconceptions about it. In fact, I was wholly prepared to hate it. But to my surprise, I didn’t. I quite liked it. Okay, so it’s not quite perfect, the plot lines are all over the place and you have to wonder why Nora does the things she does, like blithely walking into danger (dark, underground parking areas, anyone?). Also, what is up with Vee? You’d think the woman would have enough sense of preservation to listen to her best friend when she says that “babe, I think these guys are dangerous, avoid!” Okay well, not an exact quote but you get the idea. Now that I’ve talked about the things that bothered me, let me talk about what I liked. What I really, really liked. It’s just one word: Patch. I think if I had to choose just one adjective to correctly describe him, I’d choose “impudent.” He is an anti-hero. An unwilling one. And oh so honest about his desires, whatever they might be. I love how he shatters Nora’s fragile calm. He makes an incessant attack on all the barriers she has put up: no boyfriend till college? Psht, not if Patch has anything to do with it. And he continues this barrage until she capitulates but on her own terms. What’s also invigorating is the relationship between the two girls. Usually the friendships in books devolves and deteriorates as the focus shifts to the relationship but in this instance, the girls have this sort of all accepting friendship that encompasses both their faults and forgives them. The action sequences, while a bit cliched (I could tell who the bad guy was like from the first time he was introduced), were well imagined and, I believe, well expressed. I’m not saying this was book, in fact, it was far from it. It has gritty edges and some rough patches but it is, ultimately, very readable. And fun. It is an enticing mixture of danger intricately interwoven with romance that will let have you gasping for more even as you are wary about getting more. I recommend it.